Romantic Dinner for Two!
A romantic dinner for two is not just for Valentines Day! This one on one time should be given throughout the year to reconnect with your partner. The quintessential steak dinner is always a winning recipe. To get the perfect crust, cast iron is absolutely necessary! Get that pan smoking hot and start building flavor for the crust and the mushroom sauce to finish off the steak.
Pan Seared Strip Steaks
2 Strip steaks, 1.5 inch thick
1.5 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
2 Tbsp Canola oil
2 tbsp Butter
4 sprigs Thyme
3 cloves Garlic
1 Shallot, diced
8 oz Cremini Mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
4 oz Red Wine
2 oz Worcestershire Sauce
6 oz Beef Broth
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place the iron skillet in the oven to preheat.
2. Bring steaks to room temperature (about 25-30 minutes) blot dry with paper towels and generously season both sides with salt and black pepper.
3. Remove skillet from oven and turn stove top to medium-medium high. Add canola oil to pan and place steaks in pan. Cook to 2 minutes per side, flipping back and forth until reaching desired degree of doneness.
4. Add butter, garlic, and thyme to the skillet and begin basting the steaks for about 1 minute. Remove steaks from pan and allow to rest.
5. Turn temperature down to medium-medium low and add shallots and mushrooms until softened and golden brown.
6. Mix in mustard and deglaze with red wine. allow to simmer for 1 minute then add worcestershire and beef broth and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
7. Slice steak in 1-1.5 inch thick and spoon mushroom sauce over and enjoy!